Sunday, May 06, 2007

Ridiculous

Law school makes you crazy. Studying nonstop for exams that constitute your entire grade for a semester is just not fun. In undergrad, I thought exam time was stressful--but now I know that it can be much, much worse. I'm dreading this week (exams on Monday, Wednesday and Friday), and don't see how this is going to end well. I can already sense my GPA falling, especially after the property exam last Friday.

What prompted this post was my studying for criminal law. I'm currently doing hypos (law school speak for "hypotheticals," fact situations where after a situation is laid out for you you're asked to apply the law) to practice for the exam I have tomorrow, and they're a little ridiculous. Here's the first paragraph of one of the hypos in Siegel's Criminal Law ((c) 2005):

"Adams and Barlow frequented the same pool hall. Adams told Barlow that Adams needed help in testing the faithfulness of his girlfriend, Kitty, and, if she proved unfaithful, killing her. The plan was for Adams to bring a box of chocolates laced with LSD to Barlow, who was to offer the chocolates to Kitty. If Kitty accepted the chocolates from Barlow, (a stranger to her), this would satisfy Adams that she was unfaithful and deserved to die."

The situation goes on, and of course someone else samples the candy and dies...and at the end, I'm to "discuss the crimes for which Adams and Barlow may be successfully prosecuted." These kind of hypotheticals are what my grade depends on. Sounds like fun, doesn't it? Aren't you jealous of how I will be spending three hours of my life tomorrow morning? And when that's done, I get to come right back and try and study constitutional law, which will be excruciating--but I won't go into that here.

I can't tell you how much I am looking forward to noon on Friday when my first year of law school will be done, for better or for worse. And something just as exciting: this weekend consists of a little mini-vacation in Fort Worth and getting to see some of the old Trinity crowd. Yay.

1 Comments:

At 2:09 PM, Blogger Justine said...

i find chocolate and espressos help. i would recommend the bar of chocolate should be big enough to kill a bathroom cockroach with :)
good luck with the exams!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home