Saturday, May 19, 2007


Had a request for a blog entry now that I'm done with my first year of law school, so here it is! I'm very happy to be done with 1L. Now, however, begins the horrifying waiting game--time to wait for grades to come in. That process is quite stressful. However, I think I'm doing better and feeling more relaxed now than I was a semester ago. Maybe that will change as grades are posted and I like/don't like what I see.

So I thought that once I finished my last final on May 11, life was going to be easy--smooth sailing. And it is, to an extent. On that Friday of my last final, I got to go up to Fort Worth and have a fun weekend with some of my best friends from Trinity. We played games, ate out, painted Kaci's house (!), and had together time. I got back to Houston early Sunday morning, and got to spend Mother's Day with Mom and Grandma.

Then on Monday, things got a little more complicated again. I attended a required 2-day judicial process course that was designed to help get us in shape for our summer judicial internships. I found it somewhat helpful, but it was hard to sit in the same classroom all day for two days in a row after just finishing the semester the Friday before. Sadly, I also have homework for that class--a paper due next Friday that's worth 60% of our grade, plus with written "reflections" due at various points throughout the summer along with required participation in an online discussion board. Therefore, some of yesterday was spent in an attempt to work on the paper. I didn't get very far, sadly, so that is going to be the main focus of the weekend.

Wednesday was Kelsey's 16th birthday, so I headed down to Sugar Land to spend the day there. It was kind of a low-key birthday, I think, but there were 6 of us there to celebrate because Rebecca and Ben were there as well. We had roast, potatoes, and corn on the cob (and I'll eat the leftovers tonight, yum) for dinner and then went to chick-fil-a afterwards for milkshakes. No birthday cake, because Kelsey wants to save that for her party with her friends, which will be held next weekend, I think.

Then Thursday was my orientation for my first internship. I'm going to start practicing the principles of confidentiality that are so important and say that basically this summer I will be spending the vast majority of my time writing, researching, and editing. Getting downtown wasn't too bad, and I'll be parking for about $3 a day and splitting that cost with Staci, who I'll carpool with most days. Then Thursday evening, Melissa came over and we went to Sonic and watched Grey's Anatomy, which was shocking. I hate when the season finales completely leave you hanging. Boo.

So next week will begin my full days on the job. I think I'll be working about 35 hours a week or so, which isn't too bad. And I'm looking forward to being able to come home every day from work and have no homework (well, once this paper is over. And I don't have "reflections" to do.).

So there you have it, a post-finals update.

P.S. I'm proud of myself! According to spellcheck, I didn't misspell any words. That's unusual for me.


Post a Comment

<< Home