Thursday, December 07, 2006

Torts and Texas

I have survived one official "law school exam." It was pretty darn scary, though I guess I survived. I don't like the fact that an entire semester's grade is pretty much based on 4 hours of my life. I also don't like this whole "grading curve" thing. It means that, for some people, this is not going to end well. I really, really hope I'm not one of them.

Guess it doesn't matter for torts anymore. That class is all over with, and I can't do anything about it. I keep trying to not dwell on it, so that I can avoid the forehead slapping moments of "Oh shoot! Why didn't I include that issue on the exam!" It's not really working, though, as my mind tends to wander while I'm trying to study civil procedure.

Only two exams left! Hopefully I can do this without going crazy.

For some reason (well, like I said, my mind tends to wander while I'm studying civil procedure, so that probably explains it), I was thinking today about the Pledge of Allegiance, and how, upon arriving to Texas my junior year in high school, I was kind of surprised to find that tradition in Texas also includes a pledge to the Texas flag. The first time the morning announcements came on and we stood up to say the pledge to the American Flag, everything was going as expected. I finished saying the pledge, and was ready to sit down. But no, then the morning announcement people said, and students around me mumbled, "Honor the Texas flag." And everyone turned, faced the Texas flag, and I heard people say:

"I pledge allegiance to the Texas one and indivisible."

I knew Texas was kind of a strange place, but this pledge seemed pretty weird. I mean, "the Texas"? Is there more than one? It made a little more sense, though, when I found out that the actual pledge is written out like this:

"Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one and indivisible."

Ah, so "Honor the Texas flag" was not an order to at turn and face the flag at that point. It was part of the pledge. And it's not "the Texas," it's "thee, Texas."

I do still find it odd that part of the school day in this state includes a pledge to the state flag. This is the only place I've lived that has such a tradition (and my experience is pretty varied--starting with kindergarten and continuing through 12th grade, I attended eight* different schools in five states). Although now that I've lived here for over six years, I'm beginning to understand. I'm getting more and more used to the craziness that is Texas. And maybe I'm even liking it a little.

*Edit (12-9-06): My mother correctly pointed out that I attended nine schools from kindergarten through 12th grade. I can't count. Law school has addled my brain.

1 Comments:

At 1:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its not to the TEXAS... it's to THEE TEXAS...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home